Turn Setbacks into Setups
Top 10 Myths About Coaching
December 1, 2019
Life coach, professional coach, or personal coach—the different terms often refer to the same person: that is, someone who helps you improve your career, break free from restrictions, and achieve a fulfilling life. You may be reluctant seek out a life coach because of what you’ve heard or assumed. But rumors and assumptions shouldn’t get in the way of one of the best decisions you can make. Here are the top ten myths about coaching to help you distinguish fact from fiction.
- They Reach Your Goals for You. Coaches help you achieve your goals. They provide a guide, but they won’t do the work for you.
- Coaching is Just a Company Perk. If your company provides executive coaching, that’s more than a perk. Executed properly, it can drive employee engagement, sales, and bottom line. It makes financial sense.
- Coaching Only Works on Your Personal Goals. Whether you have personal or professional goals, a coach can help. An effective coach aids you in focusing on positive change, which can help you improve all aspects of your life.
- It’s for Problem Employees. Coaching isn’t only meant for people who are underperforming. Good coaching can help you improve on your strengths, identify greater goals, and lead a satisfying life.
- It Takes Too Much Time. Coaching takes as long as you want it to. Eventually, you may only spend an hour with a lifestyle coach every month and still achieve results.
- It’s No Different Than Having a Friend. Your coach is more than a friend. They’re your advocate. Not all friends will push and motivate you or hold you accountable. Your coach will.
- Coaching is Only Good for Upper Management. It’s not. Everyone needs work in some areas of their life. If you feel like you need improvement in how to deal with people or how to manage your life, a coach can help.
- Coaches Just Tell Their Clients What to Do. A good coach won’t give you instructions and call it a day. Rather, s/he will help you explore your options and talk to you about the options that are best for you, based on what you want to achieve in the future.
- Getting a Coach is Expensive. Getting the help you need to achieve the future you want can be affordable, depending on the provider you use.
- It’s Too Metaphysical for Me. Many coaches use practical and professional approaches. The trick is to find one that suits your needs.
Ready for a change? Check out Hundred Life Design for an online life coach. We have trained and certified coaches prepared to help you in all aspects of life, all at prices and schedules that work for you.